Monday, November 23, 2009

In which the posting lies about the salary

Good morning, internets! Today's terrible interview story comes courtesy of my good friend "Betty," in which she travels a long, long way for a job interview only to find out that her interviewers are dirty liars. Read on!

Hello! To set the scene: I was somewhat lucky getting out of college; I landed the first job I applied for that I actually wanted. This was a marketing job at a VERY well-known venue, where I was the right-hand-lady to the director of marketing. The pay was decent and was an excellent first job, but it was entry level. I began to feel I was hitting a dead end after about two years, and I wanted a better title for my resume.

Oh - and did I mention that my boyfriend still lived in a southern state that was ten driving hours away and I desperately wanted to move down there? Little did I know how difficult the interviewing process could REALLLLLY be.

One of the most challenging things about trying to find a job in another part of the country is the inability to have interviewers take your interest seriously. When I began searching, I must have applied for a dozen jobs that I was OVER-qualified for. I wrote excellent cover letters about my experience and skills. And I never heard from any of these companies because people didn't want to bother with someone so far away.

It happened upon a beautiful spring Monday on Indeed.com: "MARKETING AND EVENTS MANAGER FOR [RADIO COMPANY] IN [CITY 70 MILES FROM BOYFRIEND]."

OH THE GLEE I felt when I read this headline. And it got better! I was QUALIFIED! Minimum 2 years experience in Marketing and Event Planning (CHECK!), Willingness to work nights and weekends as necessary (CHECK!), Same Salary I was making at the time! AWESOME! I know "Same Salary" doesn't sound too appealing, but it was definitely a raise when you considered the difference in cost of living and the obvious money savings from no longer buying plane tickets every other month. This job was everything I could ask for. JACKPOT.

Even though I was at work, I closed my office door, put my phone on Do Not Disturb and began primping my standard cover letter for this position. My event planning experience - sooooo much to tell! In the introduction, I even mentioned that I was willing to relocated at my own expense. Oh, and that I was planning on traveling down to [CITY] that very weekend to spend Easter with my family in the area. (Lies, such lies.) I would be more than happy to stop in on Friday!

I swear my cell phone rang 20 minutes after I hit SUBMIT APPLICATION. Wow. [CITY] area code! I gather myself for a moment then answer...breezy. Sooo breezy.

Me: "Hello, this is Betty."
[Interviewer]: "Hello Betty! My name is [Interviewer]. You expressed interest in a position with [Radio Company] and I was very excited to see your resume and read about your current position. Are you available to chat right now?"
Me: "Actually, I'm at work - I could talk around lunch time, if you're available..."
[Interviewer]: "Absolutely! Can I call you around 12:30?"
Me: "Sure thing!"

Obviously, I only said I was at work to buy some extra prep time. At this point, I pull out a pad of paper and start mapping out ALL of my event management skills. I make a list of every potential question he could ask. I do my online research about the company. Ooooh, [Radio Company] owns sooo many stations in [my current city]! I don't listen to a single one of them because they are terrible. Better read up!

12:30 Rolls Around. Office door is shut. Phone is on Do Not Disturb. Fresh bottle of water by my side. I clear my throat a few times and give myself a "Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock" pep talk: You are awesome. You're better than awesome, you're F-ing Betty. You can easily land this job. Simple. Y ou would make [CITY] your bitch! You'll eat this interviewer for----

Cell rings. It's him! IT'S HIM!!!

Me: "Hello this is Betty."
[Interviewer]: "Good afternoon Betty! Is this a good time?"
Me: "Sure!"
[Interviewer]: "Wonderful. So I can see from your resume that".....blah blah blah.

30 Minutes of excellent discussion later:

[Interviewer]: "Well, if you can come down I would definitely love to meet you. You said you will be visiting your family in [CITY] for Easter this weekend?"
Me: "Yes! I am coming down Thursday night and could come in Friday if that works."
[Interviewer]: "Yes that does work! Can you come in around 11am?"
Me: "Sure!"
[Interviewer]: "One last thing before we hang up...I can see from your cover letter that your current salary is $___. Are you aware of what this position would pay? It would be a lateral move. I just want to make sure you are comfortable with that."
Me: "Definitely. As long as I'm making the same salary, I will be fine. It's cheaper to live down there than it is here."
[Interviewer]: "Excellent! See you Friday. I am very excited to meet you! Have a nice trip down!"

I have an interview in [CITY] 3 days. Don't even know how I am getting there. Panic time.

----

Friday morning at 11:00am. I am in my new suit in [CITY]. I had taken a $250 13-hour train ride the day before. My aunt drops me off at [Radio Station]. I walk in and get my 'Visitor' nametag. After about 10 minutes of sitting in the waiting room, a man enters. He is dressed like he is going on a jungle safari. Behind him is a young attractive girl in a suit. He shakes her hand and says he'll be in touch. Weird. She is obviously also there interviewing for the same position. Couldn't jungle safari interviewer have scheduled us a little further apart?

[Interviewer]: "Betty?"
Me: "Hello!"
[Interviewer]: "Nice to meet you! Come on back."

I get a tour of the radio station and he takes me to a conference room. He interviews me. It is pretty standard discussion, but about 20 minutes in I realize that I am definitely over-qualified for this job. I'm sure they are just taking advantage of the recession and high unemployment when they ask for two years experience. This could easily be entry level.

I do not care. It has "Manager" in the title and it is an hour from my boyfriend.

Jungle safari interviewer is wrapping up. We have discussed the timeline of how long it would take me to move and how much notice I had to give my current boss.

[Interviewer]: "And you are aware of the salary, correct?"
Me: "Yes. It was on the posting. It is literally my same salary, but I am fine with that."
[Interviwer]: "Right. But you said you didn't mind because it was cheaper to live here."
Me (confused inquisitive look): "Yes. Which is why I would not expect to make MORE than I make at my current job, even though I have the experience."
[Interviewer]: "Yeahhhhh. But it is cheaper to live down here. You said so yourself. You said you didn't mind a paycut."
Me: (What Planet Are You From Look): "Ummm...are you saying that the posting had inaccurate salary information?"
[Interviewer]: "Well, this is radio. Its not lke your current job with endless budgets. The salary I am offering is $___." ($10k less than my current salary- also $10k less than what was posted.)
Me: (Stunned Look): "Wow. Thats...low. Really low. I can't live on that."
[Interviewer]: "Oh. Well you said on the phone that this wouldn't be a problem."
Me: "I was referring to the POSTED AMOUNT."
[Interviewer]: "Soooo.....?"
Me: "Well...it was nice meeting you. I guess we're done here."

It was DEFINITELY the most awkward end to an interview ever. He walked me out but neither of us spoke except for an awkward goodbye, nice meeting you, good luck. What I was really thinking was, "Have fun on your jungle safari, weirdo. I hope you get eaten by a tiger."

And I meant it. Who lies about a salary on a job posting?

No comments:

Post a Comment