Thursday, November 5, 2009

In which I talk politics

Much more recently, I interviewed for a job that was kind of a hybrid between marketing and government relations. I hadn't actually applied for it and didn't know much about the company or the actual job, so I went in armed with what little info I could pull off the internets.

I should mention that at one point I worked for a major political candidate on a big-deal campaign. So, you know, you have some background.

I walk into [interviewer]'s office and see a giant photo of him with his arm around the opposing political candidate.

Hmmm.

[Interviewer]: "Come in, come in, please have a seat!"

Me: "Thank you! It's nice to meet you."

[Interviewer]: "Likewise. Now, to begin..."

Blah blah standard interview stuff blah.

[Interviewer]: "Now, I see from your resume that you did some work for [major political candidate]."

Me: "Yes! It was a great experience, I loved it."

[Interviewer]: "Well, you guys did a great job."

Me: "Really? Ha, well, thank you!"

[Interviwer]: "I mean you did a great job GETTING [OPPOSING POLITICAL CANDIDATE] ELECTED."

Me: "Oh." Pfffffffffft says my balloon of pride.

[Interviewer]: "I mean, REALLY. How anyone could think that [major political candidate] would have won is beyond me. Abosolutely beyond me. We really crushed you guys, huh?"

Me: "Oh, I'm sorry, did you work for [oppositing political candidate]? I couldn't tell from the GIANT PHOTO OF HIM AND YOU in the middle of your office."

[Interviewer]: "Harharharharhar! That's funny."

I met with him again, later, where he asked questions like, "Tell me, how exactly does someone your age end up working for [political party]? Because it really is beyond me."

"Tell me," I thought in my head, "how does one find a big enough frame for that picture of yours? It is simply beyond me."

"Ha, haha," is what I actually said, "I, erm, well...I don't know."

Great comeback, no?

1 comment:

  1. "...because I don't like massive, massive public debt. Also, bite me."

    ReplyDelete