Monday, November 16, 2009

In which my interviewer tells me about her dating past

Gooooooood morning internets! Sorry for the weeklong delay in posting. Sorry sorry sorry. But we are BACK with a brand-new terrible interview story.

Now, I was holding off on posting this one, because I thought I actually had a decent shot at landing this job, because I came in twice and met everybody and they were all "well this is just GREAT when can you start?" and I was all "oooh immediately! IMMEDIATELY!"

And then I never heard from them again.

So. I guess now I can blog about it. Yay, silver lining.

Alright, so this job was a press job at an, erm...controversial organization, if you will. I won't get into specifics, but let's just say, had I gotten the job, I probably would have alienated, ah, roughly half of my friends. And half of America, maybe. But WHATEVER, I NEED A JORB, PEOPLE.

So.

Due to a variety of weird timing and scheduling issues, I ended up having to meet my interviewer, a lady who would have been my boss, at a cafe on a Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.

I show up at said cafe at 1:50.

"I'm a little early," I think, "so I'll just wait for a bit."

La la la, waiting.

2:15. Hmm. Not here yet. Fine, no problem, just keep waiting.

2:30. Uggggh. Really? It is just me, or do I always end up waiting for these people? Is any interviewer capable of showing up on time? ANYONE?

2:45. Nothing.

2:50. OMG MAYBE I HAVE THE WRONG CAFE. Oh my gosh. Must call and find out.

[Interviewer lady]: "Hello?"

Me: "Erm, hello, hi, this is [K], I was just calling to check that I, um, had the right time for us to- "

[Lady]: "Yeah I was just going to call you. I'm just finishing up a photo shoot with [head of company]. I'll be there in 20 minutes."

Me: "OK, great! See you then."

Click.

I wait for 20 minutes...plus another 30 after that until [lady] finally arrives. Hooray.

[Lady]: "OK," she says. "Let's get started."

Blah blah standard interview stuff blah blah.

[Lady]: "Oh, I see that you have some radio experience - I started out in radio."

Me: "Oh, really?"

[Lady]: "Yep, and later on I worked for [famous radio host] for awhile."

Me: "Oh wow, I love [famous radio host]!"

[Lady]: "Well, she's no fun to work for, let me tell you."

Me: "Really? Why not?"

[Lady]: "I mean, I started producing for her, and then she would want me to do stuff like...run errands for her, and hire painters to paint her living room."

Me: "She did?"

[Lady]: "Yeah, and then when she didn't like the painters I hired, she wanted me to paint it myself."

Me: "Woah."

[Lady]: "Yeah. This guy I was engaged to at the time kept telling me, you know, that's not normal."

Me: "Haha. Well, no, I would think not."

[Lady]: "Anyway. I see here that you worked on a documentary?"

Me: "Oh, yes! I did, it was for PBS and it was about the civil rights movement in Virgina. Actually, it aired this year."

[Lady]: "That's great, I actually used to work on documentaries for the History Channel and the Travel Channel."

Me: "Oh, wow. That must have been amazing."

[Lady]: "Yeah." Pauses. "Let's watch a trailer!"

Pulls out laptop and starts loading trailer.

Me: "Oh...ok! Great! Sure!"

So, we watch the trailer for this documentary she worked on. At one point the trailer shows a cute little old couple sitting side-by-side on a park bench.

Me: "Aww. They look like a nice couple."

[Lady]: "Yeah."

Long pause.

[Lady]: "Do you think that people really can stay together forever?"

Me: "Erm."

[Lady]: Watching me intently.

Me: "Erm...I...yes, I think so. Um, if you're - if you're lucky, I guess."

[Lady]: "Yeah." Pauses again. "I'm on my way to visit my boyfriend later. He lives in [nearby city]."

Me: "Oh! Um, well, that's - that's nice, that's not so far away."

[Lady]: "It's not, although it does get a little annoying."

Me: "Ah. Well, yes, I suppose it would."

[Lady]: Staring dreamily off into space.

Me: "Erm...well, maybe someday he'll move here, so you won't have to keep going back and forth."

[Lady]: "Yeah, because I hate moving. This other guy that I was engaged to..."

Me, inwardly: Ah...two engagements? Did I hear that right?

[Lady]: "We moved in together, and we did it the best way ever. I hired people to pack for me and then unpack for me. We got to the new apartment that night and it was like we had lived there for a year."

Me: "Erm..."

[Lady]: More dreamy silence.

Me: "Ha, that's - that's definitely the way to move!"

[Lady]: "Yeah. Anyway, can you come in again this week?"

Me: "Oh...sure."

There was definitely more relationship talk to this interview, but I sadly can't remember what else she brought up - all I know is that by the end of it, I knew, like, her entire romantic life story. Then I came all the way back to DC to meet with other people at the company, which ended up being a five-minute interview consisting mainly of talking about my Amtrak train ride.

And then I never heard from them again. Just as well. I did like that lady, actually, but I could tell she's an over-share-er. And one generally does not want to work for an over-share-er.

3 comments:

  1. jesus h mcgee of all that is good and holy, this woman sounds. like. a NUTJOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best way to start my Monday! :-)

    ReplyDelete