Friday, October 30, 2009

In which I am clearly not entertaining enough

Well, this is a quick story. I went in to interview with the executive producer of a show that I was so, so, SO excited about. The idea of working for this show was like a dream job. So, naturally, I got myself all riled up and did three straight days of research and pretty much ran around, Rocky-style, getting PUMPED. "YO ADRIEEEEEENE!"

Anyway.

I get to the interview and immediately realized that I had to TONE IT DOWN because this producer was, like, the most low-key producer I've ever met. He met me in the lobby and we ambled to the elevator. And then we just, you know, strolled through the newsroom for awhile. And then we slooooowly made our way to his office. And then he calmly sat down and looked for his glasses for 10 minutes before starting the interview.

[Producer]: "Now, tell me about your background."

Me: "Well, I started out..." blah blah standard interview schpiel blah.

[Producer]: "Mmm-hmm, mm-hmm. Now, tell me about your research methods."

Me: "Well, there's a variety of different sources..." blah blah segment research blah.

So I'm chattering away happily and notice that the producer has picked up a stack of papers from his desk and is slowly paging through them while I'm speaking.

And then I realize that they are OTHER PEOPLE'S RESUMES.

He is reading other resumes. DURING MY INTERVIEW. WHILE I AM SPEAKING.

Me: "Erm..."

[Producer]: Continues looking through resumes.

Me: Not speaking.

[Producer]: Continues reading resumes. Does not look up.

Me: Continued silence.

[Producer], finally noticing I have stopped speaking and looking up: "Oh. Mmm-hmm, that's great. Well, thanks for coming in."

End of interview.

Gaaaaaaaah. Note to self: next time, must be interesting enough so that interviewer actually pays attention and is not FORCED TO PURUSE OTHER RESUMES DURING INTERVIEW. What can I do? Juggling? Baton-twirling? FIRE-TIPPED baton-twirling? Hmm. Must brainstorm.

1 comment:

  1. reDICK.

    (n) (v)

    both describing the preposterous nature of a situation, and labeling the culprit of said preposterousness, a dick.

    ReplyDelete