Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hello, internets!

Hello internets!

I haven't really attempted this whole "blogging" thing before, but I figure, you know, first time for everything. Also, I've got a lot of time on my hands these days.

Anyway, like many, many, MANY people out there, I lost my job this year. I've been going through the tricky, nerveracking and exhausting process of trying to find another one - obsessively checking job sites, sending out resumes, volunteering, searching for unpaid temporary jobs, awkwardly attending networking events only to find out that 97% of people there are also unemployed, calling up everyone I've ever met to see if they know of a job, any job, anywhere.

And then sometimes, one of these things actually works! And I get an interview somewhere! And I would say that roughly half of the people I've interviewed with have been perfectly pleasant and kind, and it unfortunately hasn't worked out in my favor - sometimes you're just not the right person for the job.

But the other half of my interviews have been terrible. TERRIBLE, I tell you. To the point where I almost believe that I'm being punked, and Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out at me from behind a potted plant in his trucker hat, even though I'm not at all famous, he stopped wearing trucker hats circa 2003, and that show isn't even on anymore.

I have to say that I'm grateful that I've even had any interviews at all - I know so many people that haven't gotten any yet. It's awful out there. But there is something particularly painful about getting super psyched about the possibility of actually landing a job again and then having it ALL COME CRASHING DOWN and leaving you in a mingled state of shock, despair and utter bewilderment.

So, instead of forcing my friends and family to listen to me rehash my terrible interviews over and over again, I thought I would just start writing it down. Surely there are other people out there who are going through the same experiences - maybe it would help if we all knew that we weren't alone. These ridiculous employers are sitting there, all smug because of their "jobs" and "steady income" and "ability to pay bills on time," and handing us poor souls some TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO-GOOD, VERY BAD INTERVIEWS.

And so I present...Terrible Interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment