Thursday, February 18, 2010

In which I'm not asked any questions

Hello, internets. Long time no post, no? Well, I've been sort of hesitant to post any stories of recent job interviews I've had because I MAY be close to ACTUALLY GETTING one of them. I know what you're thinking: "HA. FAT CHANCE, FRECKLES MCGEE." (Hah, I have, like, 4 freckles, but that's how Mike "The Situation" described the girl who was the "grenade" on this one episode of Jersey Shore and I thought it was funny and...anyway. Not that I watch it. Nope.)

Anyway, one of these said jobs is a job that I'm pretty sure I'm definitely NOT getting, so behold: the terrible interview story that came out of it.

So, it's yet another interview for yet another communications job at yet another semi-political organization. Yadda yadda yadda. I arrive for the interview.

Interview lady: "Hi, [K]. It's great to meet you. As you know, we're looking to fill this communications position. It's pretty standard - responding to media inquiries, a lot of writing, a lot of pitching, and some social media."

Me, inwardly: I am getting so, so tired of participating in this exact dialogue OVER AND OVER AGAIN, in INTERVIEW AFTER INTERVIEW. My life has somehow become a Groundhog Day-style cycle of job interviews. Ugh...OH MY GOSH. What if I'm IN Groundhog Day RIGHT NOW? I mean, what if what happened in the movie is HAPPENING TO ME RIGHT NOW IN REAL LIFE? I mean, it makes sense - all I do is go on job interviews, have the same inane conversation with every interviewer, and repeat the cycle 9000 times. I'M JUST LIVING THE SAME DAY OVER AND OVER. How did Bill Murray get out of this? He had to, like, change something, or fix something, or save someone, right? THINK. I think I last watched this movie sometime in the late 90s. I vaguely remember him ending up in jail...am I supposed to end up in jail? And then...I wake up with a job? That doesn't sound right. Hmmm. Must look into this.

Me, out loud, to interview lady: "That sounds great."

Interview lady: "Great."

Me: Smile expectantly.

Interview lady: "So."

Me: Still smiling expectantly.

Interview lady: "So...."

Long pause.

Me: "Oh! Uh...soooo..."

Interview lady: "Well...what do you want to know?"

Me: "Erm. Um...well, I guess - maybe if you could talk a little bit more about...uh, job specifics, that...that would be helpful."

Interview lady: "Actually, I think I covered it."

Me: "Oh! Um...well, that's great."

Interview lady: Staring at me.

Me: "Erm...well, I, er, think I would be a good fit, because..." blah blah my experience blah blah Groundhog Day conversation all over again blaaaaaaaaaah.

Interview lady: "Great."

Silence.

Me: Unsure of how to proceed.

Interview lady: Still silent.

Me: "Well...I guess that's...all, then."

Interview lady: "Great! Thanks for coming in."

Me: "Erm...sure. Um, thanks for having me."



The end.

Now, I'm no "hiring manager" or even "permanently employed," but generally the interviewer is supposed to ask the job seeker some questions, no? Whatever. I went home and had a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment