Monday, February 8, 2010

In which half of my interviews are canceled

All right.

FIRST OF ALL, I hate snow.

SECOND OF ALL, I hate the SHEER PANIC that pervades the mid-Atlantic at the mere IDEA of snow before there is EVEN A FLAKE IN THE SKY.

THIRD OF ALL...half of my interviews were canceled, which means that my day of four interviews became my day of two interviews. Which means I braved traveling through the MASSIVE SNOW BLIZZARD THING for NOTHING. Well, not nothing, but still.

Shall I start from the beginning? OK.

Thursday evening:
"I have four interviews tomorrow!" I say to myself as I skip to the train station. "LA LA LA LA LA four interviews! AND it's not supposed to start really snowing until the AFTERNOON, so I will be able to get them all done in time! La la la!"


Thursday night:

Phone rings.

"Hi, [K]? This is [interview #1]. Just to be on the safe side, I think it's best if we cancel tomorrow."

Me: "Oh - really? It's - I mean, it hasn't actually, um, started snowing or anything, yet, and - "

[Interview #1]: "Well, I think we're closing early tomorrow, just to be on the safe side."

Me: "Oh. OK, well, that's - that should be - "

[Interview #1]: "We'll be in touch, ok? Great." Click.

Hmmm.

Friday morning:

Peer outside. No snow! Not one single flake.

"Hooray!" I yell, skipping downstairs and thoroughly annoying my roommates who are dragging themselves into work. "THREE INTERVIEWS STILL ON!"

Check email. See email from [interview #2].

"Hi, [K]. We're closing at noon today, so I'm going to have to cancel our interview. Sorry about that. Can we reschedule for three weeks from now?"

Stare disbelievingly at email. Begin typing.

"Hi [interviewer #2]! I could actually come in earlier this morning, if that's easier for you all, before you close?"

Hit send. Wait impatiently.

See response come through.

"Thanks for being flexible, but actually, since some of us live pretty far outside DC, we're just...not going to come in at all today."

Peer outside window again. Still complete absence of any kind of snow or snow-like material falling from sky.

Sigh. Type type type.

"Sure. OK. Well...see you in three weeks."

Sigh again.

Send email to [interview #3].

"Hi [interview #3], I just wanted to check in and make sure we'll still on for today. I know some businesses are closing early, so just let me know!"

Wait wait wait wait impatiently.

See response.

"Hi [K] - definitely still on. See you soon."

"YAY," I say, "at least SOMEONE hasn't COMPLETELY LOST THEIR HEADS."

Get ready to leave for [interview #3]. Check email one last time. See email from [interview #4] in inbox. Oh geez.

"Hi [K], I'm not sure what's going to happen with the snow, so I'd hate to have you come in today if we end up leaving early. Do you think we could reschedule for next week?"

Look outside again. NO SNOW. NOTHING AT ALL. NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

ALRIGHT. LISTEN, MID-ATLANTIC, I AM PUTTING MY FOOT DOWN. I AM FROM THE NORTH. AND IN THE NORTH, WE DO NOT FREAK OUT OVER THE SNOW UNTIL THERE IS ACTUALLY SNOW FALLING FROM THE SKY. FOR THE LOVE OF TACOS, LET'S STOP THE MADNESS.

Begin typing.

"Hi [interview #4] - well, I'm already in the city, so it's really not a problem for me to come to your offices early, and maybe we can at least meet before your offices close? I don't think it's really supposed to start snowing until late this afternoon, and the roads are fine right now, so...how about I come in early? This morning? Yes?"

SEND.

Wait. Drum fingers on countertop impatiently. Drum drum drum.

Response comes through inbox.

"Hi [K]. That sounds great. See you then."

SUCCESS.

So. I made it to two interviews, and neither were terrible, so yay. But I would like to note that I could EASILY have made it to ALL FOUR INTERVIEWS and EVERYONE would have had PLENTY OF TIME TO DRIVE HOME as the snow did not start sticking until LATE THAT AFTERNOON and I UNDERSTAND that there was eventually like THREE FEET OF SNOW dumped on DC but I STILL could have made it to my interviews and the fact that I did not has made me all SHOUTY. GAAAAAAAAAH.

3 comments:

  1. may i add "burritos and quesadillas" to "for the love of tacos." just saying. because ameri-mexican food is DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having recently moved to San Diego, I'd like to suggest the phrase should be: "For the love of fish tacos." Fish tacos rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY TACOS! Also, Friday was a such a BS day. It wasn't even snowing hard (or, as you pointed out, sticking) until later on and everyone just wanted a free day. I am convinced!

    ReplyDelete